Energy and Water Efficiency
Priority Services Register:
If you sign up to your energy supplier’s Priority Services Register (PSR), you can get extra help and support with your energy supply for free.
You can sign up if you’re:
- a pensioner
- disabled or chronically sick
- have a hearing or visual impairment
Help you can get:
If you’re on the PSR, you could get:
- free advice on being more energy-efficient
- protection from cold callers with a password protection scheme to keep you safe
- your meter moved free of charge if it’s hard for you to use or read the meter
- a free quarterly meter reading if you can’t read your meter
- bills sent to a relative, carer or friend to help you check them
- your bills and meter readings in a braille, large print, audio tape, textphone or typetalk if you’re visually impaired
- advance notice if your supply is going to be interrupted
- priority reconnection if your supply is interrupted
- alternative facilities for cooking and heating if your supply is interrupted
- extra help to use your meter or appliances
- annual gas safety checks
Free gas safety checks
To be eligible for a free annual gas safety check, you must own your home and get a means tested benefit such as Pension Credit or Income Support. Also, one of the following must apply:
- you live alone
- you live with other adults who are aged over 60, disabled and or chronically sick
- you live with at least one other child under five
How to sign up to PSR:
Contact your supplier to see if you’re eligible to sign up to the PSR. If you have different suppliers for gas and electricity, you’ll need to call them both. You’ll need to register again if you change your energy supplier.
Warm Home Discount:
1. What you'll get:
For winter 2016 to 2017, you could get £140 off your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme for free.
The money isn’t paid to you - it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill between October and April.
You qualify for the discount if on 10 July 2016 all of the following applied:
- your electricity supplier was part of the scheme
- your name (or your partner’s) was on the bill
- you were getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit as well)
If you don’t qualify;
You may be able to apply directly to your electricity supplier for help if you don’t get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit but:
- you’re on a low income
- you get certain means-tested benefits
Check with your supplier to see if you’re eligible and how to apply.
Charis works with the following companies to deliver a number of Charitable Trusts, Hardship Funds, (Welfare Schemes), Rebate Schemes and Social Tariffs: British Gas; EDF Energy; E.ON Energy Fund; npower; Anglian Water; First Utility; Scottish Power; OVO; Business Energy Solutions and Utility Warehouse.
Even if a resident is not with one of the above suppliers the British Gas Energy Trust will accept help to relieve debt applications from anyone, even if British Gas is not their provider. See the following webpage for more info: http://www.charisgrants.com/
Water Sure Tariff/ Essentials Tariff/
There are cheaper water tariffs available for those on a low income
https://www.southernwater.co.uk/watersure-tariff (If you are on a low income and on a water meter)
https://www.southernwater.co.uk/essentials-tariff (For customers who are struggling to pay their water services charges)
https://www.southernwater.co.uk/save-a-flush-form ( If residents are on a water meter and they have a handle flush toilet, they can order a free save a flush bag from Southern Water which saves 1 litre of water every time the toilet is flushed- or call Southern Water on 0330 303 0277 for the free save a flush bag)
Impartial and accurate advice
If residents do not have/ use internet they can call certain energy comparison sites on the telephone, and they will help the resident find the cheapest deal. Energy Helpline- 0800 074 0745. Money Supermarket- 0800 177 7087. UK Power- 0800 860 6866. Energy Linx- 0800 849 7077. U Switch- 0800 6888 557. UnravelIT- 033 3344 0031. Switch Gas and Electric- 03333 700 600. My Utility Genius- 0203 468 046. Simply Switch- 0800 011 1395. The Energy Shop- 0845 330 7247.
To ensure the consumer gets accurate information they will need:
- Name of their current tariff